Hi. I’m Amber Jorgenson. Gayle asked me to write about how to find the perfect mate. She knows I married a dreamboat of a guy, and we’re still happily married twenty years later.
The photo is my favorite picture of us taken near Cottonwood Creek.
I’m a country girl and a romantic. I adore a good love story on TV or in a book, but I doubted it would never happen to me. My life was soooo busy with my family and career, that I hadn’t even had a date since….
Well, anyway, one day after shopping for groceries for my family, I took some “me time.” I stopped by the church on the way home. While the ice cream melted in the trunk, I went inside and began playing the piano. There I was belting out a song to heaven, when Kelly walked in the door. He was so handsome, my heart did flip-flops! I was totally embarrassed that I was caught in a private moment, and rushed out of the door before actually meeting him.
We didn’t reconnect for months. But girls, sometimes love comes to you when you least expect it. That’s what happened to me. Here are some tips for finding true love:
- Ask the Lord to bring the right person to you. He has super connections.
- Look for someone with mutual interests. Do you play a musical instrument, enjoy a sport, or volunteer somewhere? Do the things you enjoy, and you may ”just happen” to find a good friend as well as a perfect mate.
- Don’t tie yourself to someone who doesn’t share your faith. Nothing, absolutely nothing, will draw you closer than praying together as a couple. It’s the tie that binds.
- Take your time getting to know each other before making an emotional or physical commitment.
- Don’t let love blind you to the truth. Watch for red flags, such as he can’t keep a job; he is living with his mom; he’s lied to you; or he doesn’t introduce you to family or friends.
- Note how he treats his family, because that’s probably how he’ll treat you when the honeymoon is over.
- Work on yourself. Be the person someone wants to be with forever.
You can read about Kelly and me in By the Banks of Cottonwood Creek. I’ll admit, we had some rocky times after we married, and you can learn about those in Amber’s Choice. If you want to read about a crazy unlikely romance, check out Cottonwood Dreams. It’s the story of our friends, Tiny and Brianna. The books are part of the Prairie Pastor Series by Gayle Larson Schuck. They’re available in eBook or paperback at all online bookstores.
P.S. Guys, all of my advice will work for you, too.
This is Gayle speaking again. Friends, I’m going to take a break from blogging in order to play in the garden and spend time with family.
Since 2015, I’ve posted over 75 blogs. It’s been so rewarding to connect with faithful readers, but perhaps you need a break, too! Eventually, I hope to put some of the past posts into a book of essays as a way to preserve them.
Blessings to each of you who has read the blog posts, made comments, and told your stories. I treasure each of you and deeply appreciate your support through the years.
Have a wonderful summer! I’ll be in touch in a few months.
“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippines 1:6